You know what we’ve read this summer? A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

21st July 2011 By Joel Richardson

Without meaning to disparage the fascinating tomes that other students get to read over the summer, it’s fair to say that it’s English students who have the highest chance of striking reading list gold.  This 19th Century epic is one such example.

While BBC Big Read voters might only have rated this as Dickens’ fourth best novel (behind Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol and David Copperfield), there’s a strong case to be made that this is his masterpiece.  The backdrop of the French Revolution lends an epic edge, the trademark comedic caricatures provide a dash of humour, and the central characters are invested with a humanity that is sometimes lacking in Dickens’ other works.

Fundamentally though, whether you are an English undergraduate or someone who hasn’t read a novel since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the real strength here is the story.  The action builds steadily from an opening loaded with mysteries, culminating in a final third that is almost deliciously put together.  Whereas many Victorian novels fall back on absurd coincidences to resolve their plots (how many times can someone be secretly related to the hero without anyone knowing?), here the characters’ arcs fuse together in ways that are both comic and tragic, in all senses of the words.

Overall then, this is so much more than something to let everyone else on the beach know you’re a pretentious Oxford undergraduate.  It’s just a mystery why no-ones made a TV series of it recently…

You know what we’ve read this summer? is an ongoing series of articles for OxStu Online, giving you our top tips on books of all shapes and sizes that we think you should be reading this summer.  Check in soon for the next update, and if you have your own suggestions or opinions let us know in the comments!