Varsity coaches crash in France

14th December 2013 By News Team

Two coaches carrying students home from the Oxford-Cambridge Varsity ski trip in Tignes have crashed.

The accident took place just north of Dijon and is believed to have been caused by black ice.

Reports suggest that there were no serious injuries as a result of the crash.

According to a student on the second coach, the first coach slid to a stop and crashed into a barrier, leaving it at a right angle to the road. The second coach then swerved into the same position, resulting in the crash.

Benjamin Sullivan, a student at Christ Church and a passenger on one of the buses involved in the collision, told the Oxford Student that “at around 3am French time I awoke to the sound of our coach driver shouting and my friend across the aisle staring intently at the road yelling ‘oh my god’.”

Sullivan added that “it is appalling that the road had evidently not been gritted at all – members of the emergency services slipped while attempting to walk from their vehicles. Despite being extremely startled and angry, I know how lucky we are it was not much worse and am very grateful to our driver for managing to cushion the collision.”

Tom Rimmer, a first year physicist at Magdalen, was travelling in a coach behind the vehicles which collided. He said: “We didn’t really know what was happening at first. We were really worried because we had waited for such a long time without information. When I heard that my friends were all right I was very relieved.”

The accident happened at 3.05am French time. Following the collision there were delays of up to five hours on the road. One coach suffered serious damage and is now believed to be a write off.