Oxford Chimeras crowned champions of Europe

Oxford’s Radcliffe Chimeras Quidditch team have continued their winning streak after claiming victory in the European Regional Championships in Brussels last week.

The muggle Quidditch tournament, hosted by the International Quidditch Association, attracted 12 teams from countries like France, Italy, Belgium and Spain.

The team secured a 100-30 point victory over last year’s champions, Paris Phénix, in the finals. Player Steffan Danino achieved the required snitch grab to end the match, and secure the Chimeras’ place as champions of Europe.

Ashley Cooper, president of the Oxford University Quidditch Club, described the competition as “amazing”.

He said: “There was such a buzz of excitement, and the sportsmanship from everyone was incredible.”

“The response from the crowd and other teams was brilliant. We were hoisted onto people’s shoulders and cheered and carried around. We even had people demanding photos and autographs with us.”

The Quidlings, Oxford’s second team, reached the quarter finals of the tournament but lost 50-30 to Italian side Lunatica.

Matthew Western, captain of the team, commented: “The European championships were a huge triumph for the Quidlings, and I couldn’t be prouder of them. Once again our opposition underestimated us and paid the price.”

“Some of the defeats that put us out of the running for the World Cup may have been frustrating[…]but we learnt so much, and I’m sure we’ll hit Europe even harder when we return.”

Western, who is also publicity officer for the club, added: “I hope our victory over some seriously challenging opposition shows Oxford that we are sportspeople first and Harry Potter fans second (if at all), and inspires more to join one of the fastest-growing sports in the country”.

Oxford University Quidditch Club is due to apply to Sport England for official recognition.

The club is also set to host the world’s biggest ever mercenary Quidditch Cup in two weeks’ time, described by Cooper as a Quidditich version of fantasy football, with 150 real players from across Europe.