Flood Alert in force in Oxford

Flood Alert in force in Oxford

31st December 2017 By Joseph Tulloch

A flood alert is currently in force on a section of the River Cherwell which includes Oxford, and more rain is expected in the coming days.

The Environment Agency’s Flood Information Service says that ‘the river remains sensitive to the forecast rainfall and will remain high over the coming days’ and although further flooding of land and roads is not currently expected, ‘flooding is possible – be prepared’.

Heavy rain is expected in Oxford, and across the Southwest in general, over the next few days, with the Met Office issuing a yellow warning of rain for Sunday. The ground will be ‘very wet’ in some places and this is ‘likely to lead to rising water levels and some flooding in places’.

No flooding of property, however, is expected.

Environment Agency staff have been out in the area and will be out on Sunday, checking for and cleaning blockages. The Agency urged locals to ‘remain safe and be aware of your local surroundings. flood (sic) waters may be deep and fast flowing.’

The most recent flooding in Oxford occurred in January 2014, when large swathes of the city, including Abingdon Road and large sections of University Parks and Christ Church meadow, were completely submerged.

Despite extending the weather warning for rain until Sunday, however, the Met Office has removed a yellow weather warning for ice which had been in place since Friday.