Album Reviews: Week 7

Entertainment Life

Pick of the week

Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Various Artists

Atlantic

Rating: 4/5

Whilst the films may be as exciting as watching John Major’s 50 Greatest Speeches the Twilight soundtracks have always been a cut above the usual.

Full of interesting collaborations and big names handing over new songs, Eclipse is a fascinating collection.

Whilst it doesn’t have the same flow or continuity of a traditional album, what it does have is some stand-out tracks.

In particular, contributions by The Dead Weather, UNKLE and The Black Keys are well worth getting hold of. Though not a cohesive work as a collection of songs this soundtrack really holds its own.

A good outcome from the Twilight franchise after all.

–James Benge

Been listening to something good

Been Listening

Johnny Rynn

Transgressive

Rating: 4/5

Amidst the huge successes of Laura Marling and Mumford & Sons, Flynn is under pressure to forge something original.

Whilst his debut A Larum helped lead the latest “folk revival”, his plaintive, modestly erudite lyricism was at risk of being subsumed by more ballsy folk fusions.

But Flynn’s band vitalise Flynn’s quiet lyrical brilliance with contesting brass and violins, mixing blues and world influences with trad.

“Churlish May” and “Barnacled Warship” are the highlights of this ambitious and unique sound.

–Baz Lennox

The drums don’t miss a beat

The Drums

The Drums

Island

Rating:4/5

In places strongly reminiscent of early New Order, in others featuring traces of the Beach Boys, New Yorkers The Drums’ first album reverts to old-style indie.

Although the chirpy, whistle-strewn “Let’s Go Surfing” tempts the listener to assume them to be beach-pop, elsewhere, in “It Will All End In Tears”, there is real anguish.

Nevertheless the whiny and less-than-outstanding vocals by Jonathan Pierce do have the tendency to grate in places.

–Martha Lee