Retro: Scooby Doo

Technically, Scooby-Doo shouldn’t be in this column, given that the last Scooby-Doo film was released a mere six years ago.

However, considering how dreadful both movies were, (yes, there were two; I refer you to the horror of Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed), I think we can ignore them.

If anything, the fact that there is a movie franchise proves the enduring legacy of everybody’s favourite speaking dog.

The animated movies were far better: Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers, Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, and Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School. Mystery Inc. were greatly entertaining, if perhaps a little lacking in the personality department.

There was Fred, the leader of the gang, and his red-headed dame Daphne, an enthusiastic but danger-prone damsel. Then there was Velma, the bespectacled brains of the franchise. Frequently losing her glasses (“Jeepers!”), she still managed to figure out the mystery with the accidental help of Scooby and Shaggy, the heroes of the series.

The team was a cooler, television-friendly version of Enid Blyton’s Famous Five. It was only in Scooby-Doo, however, that many surprisingly technologically accomplished masks were able to hide a villain’s true identity until the end of the show.

Everyone wondered what those “Scooby Snacks” really tasted like: reviewers and the public have made connections between drug culture and the show, interpreting Shaggy and Scooby-Doo’s perpetual hunger for “Scooby Snacks” as a sign of drug related “munchies”.

Irregardless of whether Scooby-Doo was constantly battling “munchies”, the very fact that he was a canine detective proves that this ‘60s show was still pretty “far-out”.