Lewis returns to Oxford

The 19th episode of ITV police drama series Lewis, inspired by the Inspector Morse series, is being filmed in Oxford this week.

The crew will be filming at various locations in Oxford, including Trinity College, Broad Street and Christ Church Meadow. Filming started on Monday at the Rad Cam and will continue until Saturday, with around 15 actors involved.

The series is being produced by Chris Burt, who studied PPE at Jesus College in the 60s. Burt also produced about half of the Inspector Morse series and so is no stranger to Oxford.

Burt said one of the reasons Lewis is so successful is its setting of Oxford: “Just look at the beauty of the architecture. Oxford, as well as the cast and wonderful music, is a very important reason for Lewis being so successful.”

Lewis fans can look forward to a thrilling episode. Actor Mark Aiken, who plays an Oxford professor, didn’t want to reveal too much but said the script is “fantastic” and “very demanding of the audience”. He did say that there are three murders which happen in Oxford after a book signing by a former head of MI5.

The crew were joined for the episode by the much loved author of the original Morse novels, Colin Dexter. Dexter received an OBE for services to literature in 2000. Now retired, Dexter lives in Oxford, and said “I couldn’t think of anywhere more beautiful to live”.

Though retired, Dexter still appears in several Lewis episodes: “the producer calls on occasion for me to come along for a day or two and do a cameo role”. Dexter added: “I think it gives others confidence to note my incompetence”.