Hilary: Director’s cut

Art & Lit Stage

Hilary term is here, and the bad weather and cheesy pantos are almost far behind us. The drama section this term will be bringing you news and reviews of what’s hot and what’s not on the Oxford theatre scene as well as looking further afield at one show per week, to tell you what might be worth hopping on the coach or train for.

This week’s pick is Black Watch at the Barbican, read Jessica Campbell’s review for more on that.

I’ve also been hearing great things about Birdsong. Its director is Sir Trevor Nunn, Oxford’s current Cameron Mackintosh professor of drama. The show is an adaptation of Sebastian Faulks’ novel and stars film actor Ben Barnes. The last performance is on January 15th so this week is your last chance to catch it.Closer to home The Burton Taylor’s The Rape of Lucrece is sure to be a powerful play and opens on January 13th. Continuing on the not so light note, the BT is showing Albee’s first play The Zoo Story in 3rd week and is well worth the price of a ticket for the pacy and surreal script alone.

Spring Awakening is Keble O’Reilly’s big show in 6th week. It’s been done in almost every high school and college in America at this point, so it’ll be interesting to see how the Broadway spectacular fits in to the modest O’Reilly.

The New Writing Festival in 7th week should draw attention to up and coming writers, and we’ll be on hand to give them their first taste of fame and of course, criticism.

A new regular feature this term is “Behind the scenes”. We’ll be dedicating a few moments in the spotlight to those lesser known names and faces who work behind the scenes at local theatres, companies and drama groups.
This week we have BT Manager, Robert Bristow, who it might surprise you to know is a student himself and has a fondness for treading the boards. If there’s someone you’d like to see interviewed on these pages, let us know by sending an email to [email protected]
Happy 0th week from all at Drama.