Oxford staff honoured in New Year’s list

Six members of the University have been recognised in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours List.

Professor David Edgeworth Butler and Professor Rory Edwards Collins both received knighthoods for their outstanding contributions to their fields.
Butler received the honour for his work in political science.

The Nuffield College Fellow played an important role in the establishment of the UK’s electoral commission and has written many books on the subject, including an award-winning study focusing on electoral politics.
Nuffield College members reported that they were “delighted and proud” at his achievement.

Collins, Co-director of the Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit and Fellow of Green Templeton College, was awarded the title for services to medical science.
In his post as the Principal Investigator and Chief Executive of the UK Biobank – a pioneering institute aiming to improve the health of future generations – Collins has been instrumental in founding epidemiological studies of cardiovascular diseases and cancer.

Professor David Mant, Emeritus Professor of General Practice and Emeritus Fellow of Kellogg College, was honoured with an OBE for his services to medicine and his research into the prevention and early diagnosis of common diseases.

The President of Kellogg College, Professor Jonathan Michie, expressed his pleasure at his colleague’s recognition.

“Professor David Mant has played a leading role over many years in developing and then supporting Oxford’s part-time Master’s in Evidence-based Health Care, which attracts outstanding students from across the globe,” he said. “Twenty years ago, no-one would have been allowed to study part-time in Oxford. Now, the 21st century is being shaped for the better by the graduates from our part-time programmes.”

He continued: “Professor Mant’s contribution has been and remains outstanding, and his New Year’s Honour is richly deserved.”
Three members of the University were also bestowed with the title of CBE.

Professor Hugh Charles Godfray, Hope Professor of Entomology and Fellow of Jesus College, achieved the merit in recognition of his services to science.
As President of the British Ecological Society, he has excelled in his research into experimental population biology.
Mark Damazer, Master of St Peter’s College and former Controller of BBC Radio 4, also achieved the title of CBE for contribution to broadcasting. Dr Christopher Brown, Director of the Ashmolean Museum and Fellow of Worcester College, was made a CBE for his services to museums.
The Honours List is released twice a year and is compiled on the basis of nominations which highlight the merits, bravery or services of an individual.