AskStu: Issue 3

Is it true that if you hit the ground when falling in a dream, you’ll die? English, 1st year, St Peter’s

I once dreamt that I was falling; swept along by the wind and an utter sense of hopelessness, watching my impending doom creep closer and closer, feeling the hand of the unknown looming over my shoulder.  It felt somewhat similar to what I feel right now, having to answer this question. Plenty of people have dreamt of hitting the ground falling and woken up alive, just as plenty of people have dreamt they were whales and woken up human, or dreamt they were living it up at Brookes only to wake and find themselves in the middle of a hardcore revision session. Unless you have a George Michael-esque tendency to drive while sleeping, you’re probably pretty safe in your dreams. Go crazy, jump off a few cliffs – just like I’m going to do when I’ve finished writing out these answers. OxStu really aren’t paying me enough for this.

How many years have people been “trashing”, and why did it start? CompSci, 3rd year, Keble

Personally, this particular Oxford “tradition” has never been a favourite of mine. Food everywhere, wasted champagne and miles of that damned silly string that was surely only invented with the intention of pissing people off. Originating in the 1990s, you could really hardly call trashing a “tradition” at all – it’s as young as you whipper-snappers currently running around, thinking you own the place. I can only imagine trashing started the way all the most tedious “banterous” activities start; that is, with someone deciding that shoving confetti/foam/paella in someone’s face would make an excellent replacement for wit. According to Wikipedia, items thrown at exam-leavers during trashing include “raw meat” and “octopus”. This is an example of why you should always come to me for answers rather than Wikipedia.