The last pango in Hertford

Hopes are high that festivities this weekend will cement the “legend” of Hertford’s bar in the memory of its patrons far beyond last orders. 

The students of Hertford fought hard to prevent the management of their bar, one of the last remaining student-run bars in Oxford, from changing hands and being usurped by an external company brought in by the College authorities.

The bar’s switch to private management last term sparked controversy, with students choosing to boycott the new bar in the hopes of getting the student business reinstated.

Although Hertford students have had to admit defeat, they are not going to let the memory of their beloved bar die without a fitting commemoration – in the shape of a glamorous ball, “The Last Pango”, to be held next Saturday.

Hertfordians are anticipating the Ball will see the bar off with a bang: “We’re really looking forward to it,” enthused a group of students.

A ball committee has been set up to ensure that the upcoming event honours the bar’s memory in style, with tickets being advertised as passes to a historical occasion that promises to “revive the ancient spirit of the bar for one night only”.

The total expenditure of the memorial celebration will exceed that of the College’s summer ball in 2010, but Hertford can afford to splash out by supplementing their JCR bank balance with the final profits of the bar’s business, to make the final farewell of the traditional bar truly memorable. 

The event takes its name from the infamously strong drink connected with the bar. “Pango” is also cited online in Urban Dictionary:

Pango (n): originating at Hertford College, Oxford, known to be the downfall of many a strong man. The Pango comes in three flavours: original, dark and green. Each consists of approximately 6-8 shots and some sort of mixer, served in a pint glass. The dark Pango contains 2 shots of Bacardi, 2 shots of vodka, 2 shots of Archers, 1 shot of Jack Daniels, lime, blackcurrant, and lemonade. 

(v) one may also be “Pangoed,” which means to drink a Pango and implies that a night of drunken debauchery and revelry will follow.