Bridge over troubled water?

Managers of the Bridge nightclub will attend a hearing at the end of the month after police found the club failed to uphold objectives of their premises license.

A premises license allows an establishment to sell alcohol and host entertainment including live music. If officers decided to revoke the Bridge’s license, the club will be forced to close.

Representatives from the nightclub will face a licensing sub-committee comprising police officers and other members of the public.
Licensing objectives include public safety, the prevention of public nuisance, the protection of children from harm, and the prevention of crime and disorder.
Julian Alison, Licensing Manager at Oxford City Council, said that police were responding to an “incident” at the club caught on CCTV. The Oxford Mail reported an increase in cases of antisocial behaviour and violence at the Bridge at the end of last year.

Commenting on the Oxford Mail website, reader Peter McVey agreed that the club’s atmosphere had become unpleasant.

“The trouble is that for some reason the Bridge seems to attract the worst of the idiots that the other clubs do not. Maybe a tougher door policy is needed,” he said.
Matt Thomlinson, a second year at St John’s, said Bridge is “usually a good night, but it’s not my first choice”.

A spokeswoman for the City Council said that officers would most likely put tighter conditions on the club’s premise license.
A spokesman for the Bridge’s management team said that the police were opposed to the club’s activity.

“They are anti-late the late-night drinking culture,” he said. “The police want to reduce our licensing laws.”

Kukui are seeking an extension of their licensing hours to allow them to sell alcohol later into the night. The club wants to extend its hours from 2 a.m. to 3 a.m. on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Thirst Lodge are in the process of applying for a new sexual entertainment license permitting erotic dancing until five in the morning seven days a week.