JCR Premier League Team of the Year

College Sport Sport

GK: Adam Titchen (Worcester)
Worcester have the meanest defence in the league. Without Adam Titchen, they would not. Commanding in his area, assured under pressure, and crucially – for a side which dominates possession as much as Worcester tend to – he is seldom caught napping. Whether or not Worcester can adequately replace him next year will be a big decider of the team’s fortunes.

RB: Mike Roberts (SEH)
Committed and determined, Roberts gives off the impression of never letting the thought of shying out of any tackle cross his mind. He lets no opposition player have an easy time of it and is always keen to join the Hall attackers; his two goals this season are just reward for invaluable performances and seemingly limitless energy for the full 90 minutes.

CB: William Gilbert (SEH)
It’s all too tempting to pop open a bottle of cliché and call Gilbert a no-nonsense, old fashioned sort of English centre half. It wouldn’t be too far off the mark though and Hall’s highly attacking style of play is in part based around confidence in his reliability, as a veteran of the team who also played in their 2009 title winning side.

CB: Matt Sinnett (Worcester)
It’s not been the easiest of seasons for Worcester as their title challenge ebbed then finally faltered. But led by Sinnett, they have been impressive at the back, conceding just 12 league goals in 10 games, with no little thanks to his solidity and aerial prowess. He has also acted as a playmaker from deep, sending out pathfinding long balls.

LB: Jeff Burgin (M/M)
Mertsfield’s counter-attacking 4-3-3 has seen them sweep aside all contenders, losing only once in the league. But it wouldn’t work without defensively-disciplined full-backs, of whom captain Jeff Burgin is a leading example. Seldom caught out of position and a leader on the pitch, Burgin has been crucial in Mertsfield’s title campaign.

CM: Michael Edwards (Wadham)
Robust but skilful, Wadham skipper Michael Edwards has a hand in everything his team does, breaking up opposition play with tenacious tackling and redistributing the ball.  He also possesses a fearsome right boot which Wadham to utilize from all over the pitch.

CM: Tom Chadwick (Worcester)
In a midfield featuring much established talent, fresher Chadwick has already made himself indispensable. A genuine box-to-box midfielder, able both to create and destroy, his blend of intelligent passing, strong tackling and physicality has been a joy to watch.

AM: Callum Grant (SEH)
Of all the college captains, Grant is the most identifiable leader, and his industrious example and constant vocal encouragement have epitomised a spirited Teddy Hall side. As a player he is skilful, physical and adaptable,  but fits in best here, supporting the front-men from midfield.

RWF: James Hilton (SEH)
The diminutive forward sums up Teddy Hall’s title challenge. He doesn’t look like a conventional 9, and yet, his strength, his astonishing aerial ability and his expert finishing have marked him out as one of the best attackers in the JCR League. His fructous partnership with Hall’s midfield creator, Callum Grant, has been something to behold.

LWF: Benjamin Franz (M/M)
Only team-mate Tom Mayou has scored more goals than the combative left-winger in the league this season. Whether heading for the byline or cutting inside and shooting himself, Franz is a constant menace to the opposition defence, and combines all the principal virtues of the accomplished wide-player.

ST: Tom Mayou (M/M)
Dangerous in the air and skilful on the floor, Mayou is the complete forward, the focal point of Mertsfield’s attack, the most fluent and mobile in the league. As an individual he has also excelled, and been the architect of several stunning goals.

Ad