Yes campaign “slays” FPTP dragon

Canvassing ahead of the AV referendum took a theatrical turn this Saturday as Yes to Fairer Votes campaigners staged “Slay the Dragon of First Past the Post” plays on Cornmarket Street and in Witney.

To coincide with St George’s Day, supporters of the Alternative Vote gathered for the versed play that aimed to “bring home the unfairness of the current system, in giving MPs jobs for life and forcing the rest of us to vote tactically for parties we do not really want”, according to John Cochrane, who wrote the play.

Group spokesperson Andrew Mell said: “It was very tongue-in-cheek. The crowds booed and clapped in all the right places. It was a metaphor for the inequalities of the first-past-the-post system.”

When asked whether the dragon was meant to represent anybody in particular, he added: “There were no political figures behind the characters […] we didn’t use masks or anything.”

The play climaxed with the line: “St George and his sword need your help to win – shout yes ‘til you burst if you want him to win/Shout no to keep votes going into the bin.”

The referendum to decide whether MPs will be elected using the Alternative Vote, or whether the current system will be kept will take place on 5th May.