Corpus tortoises wed

Ian Cheong

While much of the world only had one wedding to watch last Friday, members of Corpus Christi College celebrated “the wedding of the century” – between college tortoises Foxe and Oldham.

In an intimate ceremony in the Fellows’ Garden, the tortoises were escorted up the aisle while the guests stood to welcome the couple. A short speech and a poem composed for the occasion by the Corpus Poet Laureate was read, before the ceremony made made Foxe and Oldham honest tortoises out of each other.

According to JCR Vice President Sophie Cass, it was an afternoon that was “all about the tortoises”. She added: “The tortoise wedding provided an opportunity for the college to come together and celebrate relationships – romantic, platonic and reptilian – that Corpus gave them the opportunity to find.”

Around 100 staff and students gathered in the gardens to witness the occasion. JCR President Jack Evans said: “It was a day on which the whole College really came together…what started off as a rather silly idea ended up being a pretty unforgettable day.” Naturally, the College wishes the tortoises a very blissful marriage. Evans said: “I wish Foxe and Oldham a long and happy life together in matrimonial enclosure.”