May Day demonstration

Hundreds of protestors marched through Oxford in a demonstration for workers’ rights and an end to government cuts this Monday.

The protest was organised by the Oxford & District Trade Union Council but included members of numerous groups, including the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign (PST), the Green Party, the Communist Party and Oxford Save Our Services.

The protestors set off from East Oxford and marched to Broad Street, where representatives from trade unions and the PST spoke from the steps of the Bodleian library, before music organised by ‘Love Music Hate Racism’.

Oxford Save Our Services said that the day was a “combined celebration of workers’ rights with determination to take action against the massive public & voluntary sector job losses”.

When asked whether the choice of location was likely to disturb students in the library, a member of the Socialist Workers’ Party said: “We’ve set up on Broad Street outside the Bodleian library because it’s a public space… We’re campaigning so that everyone has the chance to study. Oxford is a public place – it’s not just about the university.”

However, one first year PPEist said that the protest was likely to “just annoy people”.

On the other hand, another student said that “there should be more protests featuring rap music. It’s a subversive socially motivated artform.”

In many countries May Day is known as International Workers’ Day, and is a traditional time for the working class movement to campaign for workers’ rights.