OOTB on BGT

Rose Newman

Oxford acappella group Out Of The Blue was watched by an audience of around 9 million on hit TV show Britain’s got Talent last Saturday.

The all male group won rave reviews from each of the judges and a standing ovation from Amanda Holden for their medley of Lady Gaga’s ‘Poker Face’ and ‘SexyBack’ by Justin Timberlake and were given three yes votes to proceed to the next stage of the competition.

ITN named OOTB “our favourites of the night”, and various reports have compared the group to The Warblers from US television show Glee.

Judge Louis Walsh said the performance “was very funny, original and I think the Royal Family need to see this.”

Mark Hawley, a student at St Anne’s College, said: “It is nice to see them finally get the national recognition that they deserve.”

Clare Palmer, a member of the Out Of The Blue’s female counterparts, In the Pink, said that the boys’ performance was “great publicity for acappella as a whole, it really brings the idea to the forefront,” and predicted record sales for upcoming shows.

Max Humberstone, a student at Warwick University who has been on a music tour with one of the group, said: “He was a great guy to work with on tour and they’re a talented group. It was really surreal seeing him on TV.”

Out Of The Blue have been named ‘European Champions of Acappella’ three times, toured the USA and produced 12 CDs. Their recent sell-out runs at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival have seen strings of 5-star reviews for what the leading review Three Weeks called ‘an acappella juggernaut of pop deconstruction’.