Giggs is still a hero on the pitch

Well it’s all (metaphorically) hanging out now. The brave Lib Dem MP has unmasked the baddies and all their sordid schemes of press strangulation. Let Parliament, judges and media barons fight over what to do next, in summits and committees I couldn’t care less about. But don’t continue to persecute Ryan Giggs. This is a man at the top of his career who’s made, let’s face it, a forgivable error. Don’t forget he has talent.

You’re not so much discussing footballing technique when describing Giggs, but rather someone simply at the top of their game for two decades. Success is universally respected in any occupation, from academics to FTSE 100 bosses. Yet he’s been portrayed in the same light of failed, spoilt celebrity as Lindsey Lohan, who can’t even dream of his talent. We’ve all heard the expression that ‘the quicker they rise the harder they fall’. Why do we feel the need to enforce it?

Now let’s examine the salacious details of the ‘incident’ in question. Ryan Giggs, happily married, had an affair with Big Brother contestant Imogen Thomas. With an enterprising streak worthy of The Apprentice, she decided to blackmail him to the tune of £50,000, raising it to £100,000 when he agreed to pay. Isn’t that illegal? It’s certainly worse than having an affair; but it seems that modern Britain has replaced stoning for adulterers with a campaign of media bullying. Try seeing it from his position. How does the Magna Carta, or any other claptrap cited by the red-tops, necessitate him to accept humiliation for him and his wife?

Of course the issue is much bigger then Giggs, and that’s the point to this article. We’re translating our anger at the British legal system and government onto some of our brightest talents. Giggs remains the best role model for aspiring professional footballers; he’s only ever been sent off once and has never been involved with drugs or alcohol. He never asked to be a model for family life. Super-injunctions are wrong. But maybe in this case the legal means have overshadowed an understandable end.