Coven now harbours raging Thirst

Isaac Delestre

The management of lap-dancing club The Lodge announced last Friday that they are intending to move their business to West Oxford nightclub Coven.

The Lodge was unsuccessful in renewing its sexual entertainment licence, which expires on 10th June, on its current premises on St Ebbes Street, near Pembroke College, after a campaign by the neigbouring St. Ebbe’s Church to have the establishment relocated.

Vaughan Roberts, the Rector of St. Ebbes, said: “Our passion at St Ebbe’s Church is to share the good news of God’s love for all people through Jesus Christ, and to serve our city in any way we can. We [were] reluctant to object to the application…not least because it could make us look like spoilsports. However we decided that we must.”

Oxford City Council has confirmed that an application has been made by The Lodge to acquire a sexual entertainment licence for Coven, and said that although “the application is still going through the consultation stage. If no objections are raised the application will be granted.”

Roberts added: “We believe that lap dancing clubs demean women, undermine marriage and depersonalise God’s good gift of sex” but declined to say if the church would object to the new location.

Commenting of the move one Second Year chemistry student admitted that she was “not surprised” by the choice of venue, saying: “To be honest, I’m not sure why they’re bothering, if you want to catch a strip show at Coven all you have to do is keep your eye on one of those alcoves, especially if Brookes are about.”

A Third Year English student took the news a little harder commenting: “That’s a total tragedy! Fresher’s week just isn’t fresher’s week without Coven. It’s like Mecca or something, it’s a pilgrimage everyone has to make before they can really claim to have been to Oxford.”