Apology for £13k Ball loss

Rose Newman

Brasenose Ball President Crispin Royle-Davies has said he is “extremely sorry” for his management of last month’s “Dreams of a Golden Age” Ball, which lost over £13,000.

In an email sent to all JCR members on Sunday and read out during that evening’s JCR meeting, Royle-Davies apologised “for bringing the reputations of Brasenose, of this JCR, and of the Brasenose Ball, into disrepute” and called the event “a humbling experience” of which he was “not proud”.

A £13,597 loss was made by the ball due to poor ticket sales and sponsorship, and the unexpected cost of hiring country house Anyhoe Park because of building works in Brasenose grounds.

Having voted in favour of contributing £4,000 towards the bill, Brasenose JCR will use the bust of ex-JCR President Paul Gladwell bought for £500 as part-payment. The rest of the payment will be made by the College.

Royle-Davies said he would take steps to ensure that similar losses would not be made in the future. The apology continued: “I shall…endeavour to formalise the future liability of the JCR with the College, in coordination with the Presidents of the JCR and HCR. I am also willing to help amend the JCR Constitution to ensure appropriate JCR oversight of future Brasenose balls.”

This post was amended at 13.26pm on 24.06.11 to remove the sentence suggesting allegations were made about rooms hired about by the ball President for people he knew.

Royle-Davies said: “I categorically deny that I hired out rooms for people I knew. There were three bedrooms that we used on the night of the Ball: one for me, one for Georgie Aisbitt on my Ball committee, and one for my mother. All three of these were paid for by those that used them, these were not favours.”