Learn this way?

Researchers at the European School of Management and Technology (ECMT) have uncovered an unlikely role model for aspiring entrepeneurs: Lady Gaga. The school – which like Oxford’s Said Business School offers MBAs and other business-related qualifications to postgraduates – has included the pop sensation in a case study for its students.

The case study teaches students the elements of strategic innovation, showing how new answers to perennial questions can revolutionise an industry. Gaga – according to top ECMT lecturer Martin Kupp – is the stand-out example.

Professor Kupp describes Gaga as a pioneer of “the new business model of the 21st century music industry”. Gaga – whose most recent CD, ‘Born This Way’, sold over a million copies in the first week of its results – uses not only music, but fashion and the arts, to publicise her work. “It’s not only about music,” Kupp explained to the ECMT website, “but also about concerts, merchandising, art, fashion, media and daily life”.

Professor Kupp has also held Lady Gaga – who has over eleven million followers on the popular social networking site- up as an example for Oxford’s many Tweeters. “Social media is not a one-way communication,” Kupp told reporters, “Lady Gaga understands that.”  Social media, says Kupp, is about “emotions, engagement and interactivity.”

At the time of writing, the Said Business School had no plans to include Lady Gaga in its curriculum.