Work hard, party harder?

It’s a conundrum faced by every student: do you go to the bop (you’ve been planning your elaborate red fox costume for weeks), or do you do that essay that’s due in for 10am tomorrow morning? For those of you who regularly come in from Park End at 3am and finally get down to starting that essay on conflicts in the  medieval Far East, you’re not alone – a new survey has found that only 14 percent of students prioritise their studying over socialising in the first year.

The studentbeans.com survey ran a poll of students who graduated this year.  Rather than academic work, 59 percent voted that meeting new people was the most important thing about their fresher year at university.While the results may throw into question what exactly the majority of students do in their first year, 79 percent of the students noted that they focus on studying in their final year.

However, many students felt that they had a night out too many: 82 percent of the graduates admitted that they could have worked a lot harder, while 43 percent regret not working hard enough.

A law student who has just completed his first year questioned whether the survey results reflect the Oxford experience: “At the end of the day, you can socialise as much as you want – but the essay still has to get done. Even if it means coming in after a night out and sobering up while writing an essay at 6 o’clock in the morning.”

In the light of the 2012 tuition free raise, the survey calls into question why exactly students go to university. For 52 percent, the best thing about university was their friends, with 21 percent voting for the social life. Only 13 percent felt that their course was the best part of their time at university. Oliver Brann, editor of the website, noted: “With the rise in university fees from 2012, it will be interesting to see whether the number of students who prioritise the academic side of university increases.”