Beauty Trend of the Week – BB Creams

Art & Lit Fashion

WHAT?

BB creams – or Blemish Balm creams – have been massive in South Korea, Japan and South East Asia for a while now, but have only just showed up in mainstream European and American beauty retailers. BB creams are supposedly a skincare/cosmetics hybrid: preparing skin for make-up like a primer, evening out complexions as a tinted moisturiser, protecting skin from UV rays as a sunscreen and covering blemishes like a concealer. As well as these qualities, different BB creams also have different individual claims – some contain purported anti-ageing ingredients, some soothe sensitive skin and some are reportedly the staple item in famous South Korean actresses’ beauty regimes.

So in short, a little tube containing a mishmash of primer, sunscreen, moisturiser, foundation, concealor, serum and claim to fame.

WHO?

The trend was kicked off by South Korean celebrities – and now 13% of the mass market for beauty there consists of the sale of BB creams!

HOW?

You’ll need to match whichever BB cream you want to your skintone before you buy it, because they come in a range of shades like foundations and concealers. To wear, apply a thin layer to the face and neck either before applying makeup or as a substitute for makeup.

WEAR?

Splurge
Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF 42 P+++ – around £30.00, depending on stockists

Save
MAC Prep + Prime Beauty Balm SPF 35 – £21.00

Skint
Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Daily All-In-One Blemish Balm Cream (in Light or in Medium) – £9.99

(disclaimer: all opinions are my own; no sponsorship has been involved; prices correct at the time of publishing)