Christ Church up in flames

News

One of Christ Church’s accommodation blocks burst into flames this week, with fire engines called to the scene shortly after.

According to eyewitnesses the fire began on Staircase 2 of Peckwater, at approximately 10.45am and quickly spread, with large amounts of smoke billowing out of the building. College authorities called the fire brigade who promptly extinguished the blaze.

The fire is understood to have been caused by a coating of dust on an extractor fan, with sparks igniting a fire inside the walls of the building. The staircase boiler eventually exploded and the fire caused both smoke and water damage to the building interior. Staircase tenants have had to abandon their rooms but hope to be able to return within two weeks.

One finalist said: “Although there was no serious damage to my property, some of the book storage had been damaged unfortunately. They said I could go back within the next two weeks…it’s been six days so far. I’m a finalist so it has disrupted my work schedule slightly.” Another Christ Church student called the blaze “quite a spectacle. The fire fighters dealt with the blaze very promptly, but with all the people stopping and staring and so on, there was understandably some disruption caused.”

Christ Church authorities were unavailable for comment.

 

Sign up for the newsletter!


Want to contribute? Join our contributors’ group here or email us – click here for contact details