Hilda’s student found dead

A St Hilda’s fresher has died after suffering a heart attack.

Engineering student Chao Cao, also known as Bryan, from Shanghai, passed away last Thursday.

St Hilda’s Principal Sheila Forbes said: “We are shocked and deeply saddened by the sudden death of Chao Cao, from an unexpected cardiac arrest.  Our thoughts and profound sympathy are with his family and friends at this time.”

Head of the Department of Engineering Science Guy Houlsby wrote in an email to all engineering students: “I am very sorry to have to announce that Mr Chao Cao died suddenly yesterday from a heart attack. I understand that whilst very rare, such unexpected conditions occur occasionally in young men.
“His family, who are in Shanghai, have been informed of this sad news and will be travelling to Oxford. I am sure staff and students in Engineering Science would join me in extending our sympathy to them and to Chao’s friends at this difficult time.”

A St Hilda’s student said: “I didn’t know him but the peer-support welfare team have been really supportive about the whole thing, offering extra drop-in sessions for anyone affected.”

Although the chances of dying from a heart attack increases with age and is higher in women than men, 15 people under the age of 25 died from heart attacks in England and Wales last year according to the British Heart Foundation.