Designer Profile – Bottega Veneta

Art & Lit Fashion

Who?
Bottega Veneta was created in the 1960s by Michele Taddei and Renzo Zengiaro as a luxury leather goods company. In the 1970s the label began to gain international popularity; by the 1980s it had established its place as a fashion house for the rich and famous, with celebrity devotees including Andy Warhol. In 2001 the Gucci Group bought Bottega Veneta and halted the label’s steady decline; since then the brand’s ethos has gradually shifted from understated timelessness to more trend-driven luxury. Bottega Veneta is now one of the world’s most famous luxury concessions companies, but has broadened its focus to include ready-to-wear collections, a furniture range, fine jewellery and gifts. The label is also involved in philanthropic and community initiatives; in 2006 it opened the Scuola della Pelletteria to educate and support budding leather crafts students.

Key Design Features
– sumptuous materials
– (carefully controlled) exuberance
– attention to detail when it comes to how the clothes are actually made
– timeless style
– signature ‘intrecciato’ woven leather

Musical Equivalent
Sébastian Tellier or Ray LaMontagne – something timeless and technically immaculate

High-Street Equivalent
Zara

They (i.e. Tomas Maier, Creative Director) say…
(on the It Bag phenomenon) ‘You make the bag, you put all the components in it that you think could work, you send it out to a couple of celebrities, you get the paparazzi to shot just when they walk out of their house. You sell that to the cheap tabloids, and you say in a magazine that there’s a waiting list. And you run an ad campaign at the same time. I don’t believe that’s how you make something that’s lasting — that becomes iconic as a design.’

We say…
Bottega Veneta makes everything, seriously. As expected you’ve got the usual offerings from a fashion house, so impeccably tailored mens- and womenswear, gorgeous jewellery and perfume – but then take a detour into the ‘Home’ section of their website and you stumble across a whole other world of (ridiculous) luxury (read: insanity), from a £180 pencil holder to a £550 magnifying glass to a £1070 ‘large storage box’. But I guess we should really look past that and concentrate on Bottega Veneta as a fashion brand (and not the next IKEA!) – a fairly easy task given how much we covet pretty much every item of clothing, bag and accessory they create!

http://youtu.be/L_nHY9Gh0lI