Video: Camilla at Queen’s

Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall was in Oxford today to open The Queen’s College’s new auditorium.

Camilla Parker-Bowles visited Queen’s to unveil a plaque on Thursday, commemorating the opening of the Shulman Auditorium.

Some students viewed the grand opening in a positive light. A classics student said: “I think the auditorium is a great asset to the college…I’ve been to a talk there already and it’s quality. As for the Duchess, it’s awesome that there’s someone high profile coming but I’m not particularly bothered it’s her.”

A first year agreed: “I suppose it’s always good to have some kind of big ceremony about these things.” However, another student remarked “what’s she going to talk about – hats?”

Her visit coincides with a statement made by a senior royal aide earlier this month, revealing that Camilla does not want the title ‘Queen’ due to the sensitivity connected with Princess Diana’s memory Instead she has expressed a wish to be known as Princess Consort should Prince Charles outlive his mother to become King.

While this is the title that the public will recognise her under, legally she will still be dubbed Queen.

A spokesperson for Clarence House explained that Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall are “both great supporters of the arts … [which] is reflected in the Duchess’s patronage of the London Chamber Orchestra, St Johns, Smith Square, and the New Queen’s Hall Orchestra.” Their Royal Highnesses are Joint Patrons of the restored Georgian Theatre Royal, in Richmond, Yorkshire and the Duchess is also the Patron of Tetbury Film Society which is close to their family home at Highgrove.

A Queen’s College spokesperson said that the auditorium “provides the College with a central space” which is “expected to be used for lectures, recitals, small-scale drama and film projection.”

Sarah-Louise Fernandez

PHOTO/University Hospitals Birmingham
VIDEO/James Carroll