Fant-sy some Sci-Fi? Watch Broken Stars

So, you’ve walked into a bookstore. All the books are there, neatly stacked on neatly titled bookshelves. ‘What’s wrong with that?’ I hear you ask, ‘Why shouldn’t the books be neatly stacked on neatly titled bookshelves?’ Well, take a look in the corner of the shop, to the small section entitled ‘Sci-fi/Fantasy’. That’s what’s wrong, because the two are not the same. Sci-Fi deals with technology and futuristic worlds, and Fantasy with magic and the past.

This is, of course, an over-simplification, but the fundamental differences are clear. If Romance and Historical Romance can get their own shelves, I don’t see why these have to share. It makes browsing a pain, for one thing. And although there are exceptions, a large amount of Fantasy and Sci-fi films are absolutely awful, usually because some bright spark has gone ‘Right guys, we’re making a Fantasy film, we’d better have stilted dialogue, and let’s cut all the political stuff so that we can have a love-interest’ (Prime example: Eragon. Book = awesome. Film = nothing like it).

So here’s our solution. We’ve written a show, with an actual storyline, which happens to be sci-fi. Not fantasy, sci-fi. And the ridiculous thing is, the only show I’ve heard about in the entire time I’ve been at Oxford which did anything related to fantasy or sci-fi was a Stephen Briggs-adapted Terry Pratchett play. One play. But I’d run out of fingers if I tried to count the number of Greek Tragedies, or Pinter plays that get put on, every term without fail. So I guess what I’m saying is this: come along, and see what you think. Being sci-fi does not automatically make it crap. And I can guarantee that there is no incomprehensible technology babble.

-Zoë McGee
Broken Stars is on in 8th Week at the Moser Theatre.