Robber raids bookies

A gun-wielding robber held up a betting shop near Headington last week, escaping with an undisclosed amount of money.

Masked and armed, the robber carried out his heist around 9pm on Tuesday 15th, forcing a shop worker back into the Stan James bookmakers and raiding the safe.

The criminal, described by the police as “black, around 6ft,” and “wearing a thin scarf over his face,” has not yet been apprehended.

Oxford CID’s Det Sgt Kevin Parsons said that “officers attended the scene quickly and carried out a search of the surrounding area but the offender was not located.”

Det Sgt Parsons said of the 47-year old shop worker: “This was obviously a frightening experience for the victim who was just locking up the shop when he was threatened by the offender.”

The Det Sgt has appealed to any members of the public who might have information: “I’m keen to speak to anyone who was in the area last night and either witnessed a man acting suspiciously in the area immediately before the incident or who saw a man leaving the area quickly afterwards.”

A second year student who has come to Oxford from Texas said: “I’ve been around guns for a long time, so it’s normal at home to think every now and again ‘someone has a gun.’ But in Oxford you don’t expect it. Away from the city centre its already dangerous, with muggings and rapes, we don’t need shootings or armed robberies to add to that.”

The last major gun robberies in Oxford took place in 2008, when an armed thief went on a five day robbing spree, raiding two buses, a taxi, a bookmakers and a lone man in a car park.