Video Blog: Anger Management

It would be ridiculous to suggest that Chelsea gaffer AVB’s first few months at the Bridge have been a walk in the park but the Portuguese has defiantly fought back this week by attacking critics of defender David Luiz. He told Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville, “You cannot approach a top Brazil central defender saying he’s commanded by a kid with a PlayStation. That’s ridiculous.” With AVB appearing more Mourinho than Scolari, the OxStu Sport team have searched through the depths of YouTube to pick out some of the best managerial outbursts.

(Disclaimer: some of the clips contain explicit language)

5) Only Fools and Curses

The scenario:

Harry Redknapp is well known for his wheeling and dealing in the transfer market – the likes of Jermaine Defoe, Paulo Di Canio and Rafael Van Der Vaart have all been cracking signings for his clubs (let’s forget about the brilliantly-named Marco Boogers). He’s also been able to offload some talented individuals for serious money – most notably Rio Ferdinand from West Ham to Leeds for a then-British record of £18m. According to BackPageFootball, throughout his managerial career Harry Redknapp ‘has spent £226.93 million and recouped £230.37 million.’ But, apparently, he’s not very fond of this reputation…

What happened:

Harry refutes claims that he’ll be starring as Del Boy in a remake of Only Fools and Horses by reminding us that he is, in fact, a football manager.

4) I’ve had a word with FIFA, and they’re gonna move Christmas

The scenario:

The English footballing community was a tad miffed when it didn’t win the bid to host the 2018 World Cup. Despite FIFA President Sepp Blatter describing England’s star-studded presentation as “excellent and remarkable”, the nation only received two votes with Russia winning. There was even more controversy when Qatar won the 2022 bid, only for UEFA boss Michel Platini to suggest that the summer tournament be moved to winter when, temperatures are cooler. Just as its world was about to be turned upside down, up stepped football’s very own knight in shining armour: Ian Holloway…

What happened:

Olly’s theatrical press conferences and interviews were one of the highlights of the 2010-11 Premier League season, and the Blackpool gaffer didn’t disappoint when he turned his attention to FIFA!

3) Rafa wants to talk about about ‘Facts’

The scenario:

Rafa’s Liverpool are 4 points clear at the top of the Premiership. Winning the Champions League and the FA Cup cleared a space in the Anfield trophy cabinet for the Reds’ first league title in 20 years. Manchester United, the holders for the past two seasons, are languishing in 4th, 8 points behind their rivals. With the footballing world waiting for Fergie to play his infamous mind-games with his latest challenger, a seemingly-unprovoked Rafa makes the first move…

What happened:

Like an overly-keen history undergrad squirreled away in the library for weeks on end, Rafa turns up to his tute armed with ‘facts’ – a series of incidents where Alex Ferguson complained about the hectic Premier League schedule. Unfortunately, instead of a tutor, Rafa was up against Britain’s top sports writers. They watched on as the Liverpool gaffer appeared to crack under the pressure of the title race – pretty much handing a third successive title to United.  “I do not want to play mind games too early,” said Benitez, before doing exactly that.

2) “I will love it we beat them”

The scenario:

It’s the 95-6 season. With 15 games to go, Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle have opened up a 12-point lead on Man U. But Alex Ferguson’s young side, title winners in 1993 and 1994, don’t want to finish second after missing out to Blackburn the previous season. Sensationally, United overhaul the deficit and go into the last game of the season just two points ahead of the Toon. With Keegan under pressure, Fergie suggests that teams try harder against United than they do against Newcastle…

What happened:

Consistently named as one of football’s most famous moments, Keegan cracked live on telly and declared, “I will love it we beat them – love it!” Unfortunately for Kev, United won 3-0 at Middlesbrough and secured a third title in four years – Newcastle are yet to be crowned champions.

1) Bring yer dinner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obixCOVTVwY

The scenario:

Leyton Orient manager John Sitton is under pressure with his side in the relegation zone. The club itself is in dire financial crisis as chairman Tony Wood loses his coffee business in the Rwandan Civil War. At the time Channel 4 are making a fly-on-the-wall documentary about the club and the cameras are rolling inside the dressing room when the O’s are 1-0 down at home to Blackpool…

What happened:

After an appalling first half some gaffers make three subs at half-time while others send their players straight back out. When at Hull, Phil Brown even conducted his half-time team-talk on the pitch. John Sitton responded to the performance which was ‘the straw that broke the camel’s back’ by sensationally sacking fan favourite Terry Howard in his half-time rant and threatening two more players. New chairman Barry Hearn swiftly removed Sitton who hasn’t managed since.

What are your favourite managerial outbursts?

Follow us on Twitter @oxstusport