Man arrested in connection with death has been released on bail

College News Local News National News News University News

A 49-year-old man arrested in connection with the death of Professor Steven Rawlings has been released on police bail until 18th April 2012.

The man is believed to be Dr Devinder Sivia, a St John’s academic and long-time friend of Rawlings.

The post-mortem examination carried out yesterday, has proved inconclusive and further tests will be undertaken over the forthcoming weeks.

Det Supt Rob Mason, from the Major Crime Unit, said: “This is a tragic incident and our investigations are on-going to establish the cause of death.

“A substantial amount of information is already in the public domain and we can confirm that the two individuals involved have been friends for over thirty years.

“I would emphasise that the police are investigating all potential circumstances that could have led to his death.  We are mindful that ultimately the death may be a matter for a Coroner’s inquest rather than a criminal court and I would ask for patience from both the media and the public while we continue our investigation.

“Due to the post-mortem examination results proving inconclusive and further examinations being required, this has necessitated a lengthy bail date.

“We have deployed Family Liaison Officers to Professor Rawlings’ family and we are trying to support them at this terrible time. They are being kept informed of developments in the inquiry but at the moment we ask for their privacy to be respected.”