Arrests following St Clement’s stabbing

A man has been arrested after a 22 year old man suffered multiple stab wounds during an incident in the early hours of Sunday morning on St Clement’s Street.

Police on Monday arrested a 20 year old man in connection with the stabbing and released him on bail until 15th March.

The victim suffered stab wounds to his arm and stomach and it is believed that a scuffle broke out which resulted in the victim being suffering the injuries. He was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital where he is in a stable condition.

Detective Craig Burchall, who is investigating the incident, said: “We now believe that a fight broke out at the junction of St Clement’s Street and The Plain and that the victim ran off along the Cowley Road. We believe that three men were involved and we are actively looking to make two more arrests. I remain keen to trace any witnesses to this information and would ask anyone with any information that may help us progress our investigation to contact me urgently.

Elsewhere in Oxford, there have been laptop thefts, a bank robbery in Summertown, and muggings in St Aldate’s and East Oxford in recent weeks. Police have also warned the public about an increase in bike thefts.

Thames Valley Police are also seeking witnesses to a burglary that took place on Friday 10th February at the Ultimate Picture Palace in Jeune Street, where burglars forced a window to gain entry to the property and made off with a laptop.

Besides the Lloyds Bank robbery in Summertown in January, two men were separately mugged in St Aldate’s and East Oxford earlier this month.

Jeremy Ong, a Pembroke student who lives out, said: “”I hope the police step up their patrols at night – the crime rate in the town has increased significantly over the past few weeks and as a resident of Aldates where some crime has occurred, I am naturally concerned.”

JCR Presidents have conveyed to their JCRs the warning issues by the University and police about the “higher than average” bike thefts over the past few weeks.

In an email circulated to students, University Crime Reduction Manager Norman Stewart warned of an “unprecedented level of cycle crime within the University”. He went on to note that “it would seem that many of the persons who would normally commit burglary or theft of personal items are currently concentrating on cycles”.

A Teddy Hall student living in Bullingdon Road in East Oxford said: “This is an alarming trend and it is certainly worrying that there has been a spike in crimes in Oxford over the past few weeks. I think we tend to forget about issues like crime when we live in college – this is a sombre reminder for me to maintain vigilance whenever I go out.”