Vigilia. Inversive Art comes to Said Business School

by Susheel Gokarakonda

A new exhibition of “inversive art” by German painter Daniel Eltinger opens on Wednesday at the Said Business School Gallery, Oxford. It is curated by Katharina Kim Alsen, a postgraduate at St Catherine’s College, and organised by members of Nuffield College.

A free private viewing will be held on Wednesday 2 May, 5.30pm. After an introductory talk by Professor George Pattison, the Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity at Christ Church, there will be two short documentary films about Eltinger’s painting technique, as well as dance and cello performances by Alexander Lutz and James Donaldson. To attend, contact katharina.wolff@stcatz.ox.ac.uk by 1 May.

Graduating from the State Academy of Art and Design in Stuttgart in 2010, Eltinger lived a double life working as a transsexual prostitute until 2007. His large, densely coloured canvases are created through layers of paint on foil, subsequently ‘inverted’ and printed onto canvas. The final residue is created from the drying of a transparent acrylic emulsion, with intensely rich results.

The exhibition will be on display until 1 June, and is open Mondays to Saturdays, 10am to 5pm.