Style O’Clock: Romanticism

By Raffaella Tomassi
Photographer: Adam Russell

As the rain begins to cease and the sun comes out to play, albeit fleetingly, our minds (or at least Style O’Clock’s mind) are drawn towards a series of thoughts: what exactly am I going to wear this summer? Does this mean that it’s time to stop wearing opaque black tights? (Please God, no). Can I wear my summer clothes with the aforementioned black tights? Will anyone notice that my arms and legs have turned purple from cold? Where has the sun gone????

Yet worry not, Romanticism is here, in all its sheer, chiffon-ey, flouncy, muted glory. This is an excellent trend for both the pro-summer and summer phobic lobby, allowing the wearer to mix and match pieces to suit their summer inclinations, as well as the whims of the climate. Love the sun? Wear a sheer white top with a high waisted full circle chiffon skirt and some leather sandals. Hate it? Match an embellished shirt in a muted summer colour (such as this one from Zara) with a black bodycon skirt (and tights!) to pick up on aspects of the trend without straying too far from black’s warm embrace.

This week I’ve chosen a simple sheer turquoise top from Miss Selfridge, picking up on the trend both with regards to its colour and fabric.

11am: Collars are all the rage this season, both on the catwalk and the high street. This one from Topshop is the perfect accompaniment to a high-necked top, making the demure neckline work for its bread and butter, and it stays on the right side of the jewellery/OTT collar divide

collar

3pm: : Keep it classy with a swirly high waisted midi skirt and feminine accessories, like this head band, for a look reminiscent of the 1920s.

hairband

10pm: If Romanticism isn’t quite your cup of tea, a sheer top is a good way to sample the trend without letting it take charge. Wear with a leather or suede skirt and simple yet fierce accessories to add a bit of danger to this undeniably ladylike trend. Black tights allowed!

leather