Style O’Clock: Tailoring, Jubilee Style

Fashion

Written and styled by Raffaella Tomassi
Photography by Adam Russell

In honour of the Jubilee, Style O’Clock’s come over a bit regal. Partial to a bit of coordinated tailoring even at the best of times, what better way to pay homage to her majesty’s sixty years of royal fashion that to praise the trusty skirt suit, staple of the Queen’s wardrobe. (Shown here in the new photos released from 1955 and here, carrying on the tradition in 2012.) I’ve waxed lyrical on the topic of coordinates before and am happy to say that my love for all things matching remains. So, come rain or shine, make like the Windsor’s and always put your best foot forward with my guide to Jubilee style tailoring…

Go all out and channel your inner royalty by mixing a skirt suit with a fake fur collar. Keep it fashionable by picking a suitably non-frumpy incarnation of her Majesty’s look (check out Topshop’s coordinate with the Queen page, but follow Elizabeth’s example and keep the jacket buttoned up all the way. Accessorise with some oversized pearl earrings, and a structured vintage handbag. Tights are a must for this look, as are some sensible yet on trend block heeled pumps (extra points will be awarded for keeping both feet in the shoes when being photographed!)

7th week

The less appealing side of coordinates is that twice as nice usually means twice the price… To get the most out of your suit, style it with a brightly patterned silk top, a satchel, bare legs and pumps for a looks that’s more day time than state visit.

7th week

Alternatively, a carefully picked suit can also take you from day to night. Switch bright colours for black, black, black, such as the black silk chemise pictured below. Once again, don some black tights, but this time, wear with your favourite black heels and a slick of red lipstick.

7th week

And so Style O’Clock sadly bids you adieu – it’s been fun, and stay stylish over the vacation!