Top journalists scoop up award

By Jonathan Tomlin

The winners of the Anjool Malde Prize for Student Journalism in Oxford have been announced this week.

Matt Myers from The Oxford Student and Eleanor Bley Griffiths from Cherwell won the award.

The prize is awarded to two student journalists from Oxford each year.

Myers said: “I feel honoured.To finish as one of the two prize winners from the two best student papers in Oxford is obviously a privilege.”

He won the award for a Comment article on George Galloway. The judges said: “It is the two things that every comment piece should be: opinionated and informing to readers.”

Eleanor Bley Griffiths said: “I am thrilled and flattered to win the Anjool prize. I won the award for an interview I did with the journalist Lynn Barber, author of An Education.

“We talked about everything from her adolescent relationship with an older conman, to the search for Mr Orgasm at Oxford, to phone hacking and the future of the British press.”

The judges commented that she was not afraid to ask the “tricky question”. They added that her interview “would fit easily into any national paper”.

The prize was set up in memorial of Anjool Malde, a former Oxford graduate who died in 2009 at the age of 24, and aims to promote new talent.

Sophy Ridge, political correspondent for Sky News, and Gemma Shaw, from PR Agency Lawson Dodd, judged the competition. Both were contemporaries of Malde while he was a student at St Peter’s College.