Buildings in Oxford win architecture awards

PHOTO/Adrian ArbibThree buildings at Oxford have been granted architecture awards by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).

Buildings at Somerville, Queen’s College and the Ashmolean won the 2012 RIBA Award.

The three buildings were among a total of 58 in the UK and Europe to be given the awards this year.

All 58 winners will go on to be considered for the RIBA Stirling Prize, a prestigious award granted to the building judged to be the best of the year.

Queen’s College was recognised for the Shulman Lecture Theatre.

Linda Irving-Bell, Home Bursar at Queen’s College, said: “From the very outset, when the auditorium was first presented to the College in an architectural competition, it stood out in design terms. We are delighted that this has been recognised with such a prestigious award.

“We are also delighted to see how much our students and academic staff are making use of the new building for many different purposes. We were pleased with the second award for sustainability, as we are working very hard to improve the carbon footprint of the College.”

Somerville College won their award for newly built student accommodation.

Helen Morton, Somerville’s Treasurer, praised the architects’ team at the College: “Niall McLaughlin is of course very proud for the project to have been selected in this way, as are we at Somerville, and I would like to pass my congratulations on to all those in the design and construction team.”

The Ashmolean Museum was recognised for its newly developed Egypt Galleries.

RIBA President Angela Brady said: “What really stands out is that even in times of austerity, we can still deliver amazingly clever, high quality buildings that reflect the needs of today and enhance our daily lives.

“The judges were delighted to see so many well considered, crafted and innovative projects, and the use of beautiful materials; these projects are truly exciting and inspiring. The huge range of great buildings will guarantee an exciting Stirling Prize shortlist later in the year and illustrates the value of quality in architecture.”

PHOTO/ Adrian Arbib