New health centre for 20,000 people in Oxford opens

Local News News University News

New Radcliffe House, a health centre which will serve 20,000 patients in Oxford was officially opened yesterday in a ribbon-cutting ceremony, by the Vice-Chancellor of the University, Professor Andrew Hamilton.

The facility, previously known as the Jericho Health Centre, provides a new home with modern facilities for three GP practices, and is part of the Radcliffe Observatory Quarter redevelopment in the centre of the city.

The Jericho-based GP practices of Dr Bogdanor and Partners, Dr Chivers and Partners, and Dr Kearley and Partners are already housed in the building, and patients are already starting to use the health centre.

Dr Judith Bogdanor said: “The new Jericho Health Centre enables the GPs to practice 21st century medicine in a spacious, architect-designed, exciting new building.

“The doctors will be able to practice the highest standards of medicine in these modern facilities.”

Additionally, these surgeries will be supported by facilities including training and education, visiting consultants and approved complementary health services. Nursing services will also be accommodated.

Professor Andrew Hamilton, Vice-Chancellor of the University, said: “We are proud that Oxford University has been able to make such a meaningful contribution to the local community and it is great that so many patients will directly benefit from the new arrangements for these three GP practices.

The Department for Primary Care Health Sciences has also moved into the building, with staff from Oxford University Press moving in at the end of this month.

This 10-acre Radcliffe Observatory Quarter is currently being developed by the University at an estimated cost of around £160m.

Students have been living in the new Somerville College ROQ  accommodation buildings since October 2011, and work on the new Mathematical Institute is scheduled to finish next year.

Professor Hamilton said: “We believe the Radcliffe Observatory Quarter is not just for University members, but the whole of Oxford.”

PHOTO/John Cairns, University of Oxford