Bodleian opening hours extended

Opening hours have been extended in the Old Bodleian Library and the Radcliffe Camera, with both buildings now to be open on Sundays during term time.

In an email sent from OUSU President David J Townsend to students, he said there had been “some concern over changes to library provision in Oxford lately”, leading OUSU to discuss some of these concerns with Dr Sarah Thomas, the Bodleian Librarian

In the same email, Dr Sarah Thomas said that “the highest priority for [students] is extended opening hours”, and that that “thanks to the savings [achieved] through the relocation of the History Faculty Library from the Old Indian Institute to the Radcliffe Camera, we shall be able to open both the Camera and the Old Bodleian on Sundays during term time.”

It is estimated that savings from the relocation of the History Faculty Library total approximately £100,000 annually, with this sum being allocated to the purchase of books, journals and extended Sunday opening hours.

Dr Sarah Thomas, said: “’Students have asked for longer opening hours, and we are pleased that we can use our space more efficiently and increase our services this way. We’re also adding new seats to the Camera.

“The combination of these improvements will increase flexible use of these iconic buildings.”

David J Townsend, President of OUSU, welcomed the changes, saying: “Students have been asking for longer library opening hours, and Sunday opening in particular, for donkey’s years. Longer opening hours is a big win for students.”

PHOTO/Jonathan Billinger