Super Saturday Two

Farah and BoltIt was billed as Super Saturday Two and, like some sequels, it was brilliant in its own right but no quite as good as the original. For everyone except Mo Farah that is.

A former Somalian refugee who didn’t even make the 5,000m final in Beijing, the culmination of Farah’s last four years was an historic double distance gold that leaves him, for me, the British face – the ‘Kelly Holmes’ – of London 2012.

The format of his event means that, unlike Jess Ennis or Greg Rutherford, it all comes down to one race, and, unlike Usain Bolt, you can put your head in your hands and lift it again in time to see the finish.

If you want the quick stuff, we’re not your people. But, as thousands of our volunteers have so expertly shown over the past fortnight, we are plenty capable of pointing you in the right direction: the USA and Jamaica.

Sanya Richards-Ross and Allyson Felix turned the women’s 4x400m relay into a procession while Usain Bolt received the baton from Yohan Blake and ran 11 metres a second. The multiple medals for the Jamaican men and American women have been truly outstanding feats.

In a different way, so was Tom Daley’s. Rather than seeking an alternative route being called “fat” by his coach and the death of his father, he used one for inspiration, the other for determination and battled his way to a bronze medal of which his late parent and onlooking mother should be very proud.

Ed McKeever topped day fifteen with kayaking gold while the dominant USA women’s basketball team smashed France to bring it to a close.

What with Luke Campbell’s boxing victory thrown in between, it was the perfect penultimate day.