Keble Maths graduate wins award

College News National News News University News

A Keble graduate has won top prizes at this year’s Science, Engineering & Technology Awards.

Josephine French, who has just completed her undergraduate degree in Maths, was named Science, Engineering & Technology Student of the Year and Best Mathematics Student at a lavish awards ceremony held at Kensington Town Hall in London on 26th September.

Nominated by her supervisor following work she completed on a summer research project entitled ‘Differential Operators on Base Affine Space’, French collected her awards before a large audience consisting of technology students, academics, industry executives, senior figures from government and representatives from scientific and technical bodies.

“I really didn’t expect to win an award,” said French, 22. “I just viewed the ceremony as a great opportunity to meet some interesting people, to see what kinds of things other science students have been working on, and to enjoy a very nice meal. Winning was an absolutely amazing experience.”

“I still can’t really believe it. My brother went to the ceremony with me. My mum is also very proud. She did not go to university and is not scientific at all, so it was very nice to tell her about this,” said French, who has just begun a DPhil in Geometric Representation Theory, also at Keble.

“It is still very hard to believe, and I’m not really sure what the consequences of it will be, but I am delighted.”

Sir Jonathan Phillips, Warden of Keble, said: “Jo has been, and continues to be, a magnificent member of the College community. The standard of her academic achievement goes without saying, but she has also been a great contributor to many other aspects of College life.”

“She thoroughly deserves this recognition of her outstanding abilities, and this award brings a great deal of credit to both Jo and the College.”

Additionally, Emma Nicholson, (who has recently graduated) from University College won an award for Best Earth Science Student and Dr Kobi Kremnitzer of Oriel College won an award for Best Lecturer.

Sponsored by organisations such as Airbus, BP and Rio Tinto, the SET Awards are presented to outstanding undergraduate students in the UK.

photo/Malcolm Turner