Derby joy for Rubenstein and Trinity

College Sport Sport

George Colenutt reports on Trinity’s success over Balliol

Balliol 2 (Allen (p) 8, Hostick 75)
Trinity 4 (Rubenstein (p) 15, 36, Viner 29, Stevenson 73)

Old Firm. The Milan derby. El Clasico. None compare to the passion and excitement of the Broad Street derby, and last Friday’s edition of the biggest rivalry in world football saw Trinity emerge victorious from the lion’s den/Jowett Walk. Balliol took an early lead when Alex Copestake was clipped in the box, captain Ben Allen making no mistake from twelve yards. Trinity, though, hit back soon after, wining a penalty of their own when Michael Papadopoulos was brought down as he shaped to shoot. Blues striker Ezra Rubenstein did the rest. The visitors continued to press, and they finally took the lead when Noah Viner stroked the ball past Adam Laycock from six yards out after a bit of pinball in the Balliol box. If there was an element of fortune to Trinity’s second, the third was a moment of class from Rubenstein, who curled a sweet shot from the edge of the area into the Balliol net. The second half was more of an even contest, but the massed ranks of the Jowett Walk faithful were hushed when Rubenstein danced away down the right and fed Alex Stevenson to extend the visitors’ lead. To their credit, Balliol hit back immediately. Allen fed Jack Hostick to beat the Trinity keeper and give the home side hope, but, alas, the comeback to end all comebacks never materialised, and it is Trinity who march on into the second round.

PHOTO// CHRIS CHOY