Wadham knits for tits

Wadham students are in the process of knitting a giant scarf in aid of the breast cancer charity Breast Cancer Care.

The event is being held to coincide with Breast Cancer Care’s annual Breast Cancer Awareness Month  which has been taking place throughout the month of October.

More than 40 Wadham students have been participating in what has been dubbed the College’s ‘knit for tits’.

Students participating in the knit have been weaving scarves exactly 30 stitches wide. Next Thursday these individual scarves will be knitted together into one enormous scarf that will then be wrapped around one of the trees on Wadham’s back quad.

˜

It is hoped that the participants will have been able to raise around £600 by the end of the month.

Breast Cancer Care campaign to improve the rate of early detection and patient care for women who are affected by breast cancer, a disease which causes around 12,000 deaths a year in the UK alone.

Catherine Dobson, a New College student who recently brought her needles into Wadham’s knitting fray said: “The whole thing is a great idea. You get to raise money for a good cause and also, in my case learn to knit. While there were a few initial glitches I have now managed to untangle myself and should be back to scarf-making as soon as possible!”

˜

The scheme was begun by Wadham Women’s Officers Hayley Cowan, a third year mathematician, and Emilie Lambert, a third year physicist. They said: “we’ve been overwhelmed with the response from people in college wanted to get involved, with a lovely mix of different years, genders and knitting ability.

“I’m going on my third shopping trip tomorrow to stock up on supplies as people are getting through the wool very fast, 3kg has almost gone in a few days. We’ve already raised £70 (online page has been up for just one day) even though most of the sponsors aren’t giving the money until the knitathon has finished (because they’re sponsoring by length), so we think the target of £600 is completely achievable. It’s great to see so many people getting into the spirit of the event for such a good cause.”

To support Wadham’s ‘knit for tits’ go to www.justgiving.com/wadhamknits.