£1,000s raised for inter-collegiate Mo-off

College News News University News

The inter-collegiate Mo-off is well underway, with already £2,618 being raised for men’s health on the Oxford University’s Movember network.

Oxford RAG launched the intercollegiate “Mo-off” on November 1st as part of a University-wide initiative to raise money for testicular and prostate cancer. In only the first week of the competition the teams participating have already raised significant amounts of money, grown some questionable facial hair, and added even more fuel to the eternal fire of college rivalry.

The current standings have the “St Catz Mo’s” in first place, having raised £698 as a team. Behind them are “Dirty Mike and the Gang”, the team from Keble who have raised £596, an impressive £326 (56 per cent) of which has come from Junho Hyun-Sack.

In third place is the Corpus Christi team, with St Anne’s in fourth, followed by BCRFC, SCBC, Brasenose, Mo(OUSU), LMH and St Hilda’s. Worcester College is currently last out of the 14 teams competing, with no money raised yet.

The rivalry between St Catz and St Anne’s is especially fierce, as the losing college’s charity representative has pledged to keep their moustache until Christmas. At present St Anne’s is trailing behind, with the St Catz team having raised £463 more, but being only a week into the competition so far there is the chance that they will catch up.

For now, however, it seems Ben Rosenbaum, the St Anne’s charity rep, will be sporting his facial hair for the rest of term. The “St Catz Mo’s” are ranked as the 349th team in the UK.

Junho Hyun-Sack, the driving force behind the Keble team’s second place position, said: “People often ask me how I raised so much money. To them I answer: hard work, self-confidence, and family members who think generous donations can make up for a lifetime of shitty Christmas presents. Unresolved issues aside, Keble, led by James Newton, is working hard to raise money for this great cause and I’m proud to be a part of it.”

Several teams are also participating in Movember, without signing up for the college Mo-off. The Teddy Hall football team has raised £75, and the rugby team £60 which if they pooled their resources and competed as a college would put them in 6th place.

They invited the Teddy Hall JCR to donate as they began “growing some dirty dirty moustaches to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK!” and to watch the progress of their “beautiful lip hair growth” at their JustGiving pages.

The Teddy Hall teams expressed their eagerness to participate in the worthwhile cause because “Prostate cancer affects a staggering 80% of men by the time they are 80. Although it is often slow growing (like many peoples’ taches), it is a killer. Lung cancer is the only cancer to cause more deaths in men each year.”

RAG President, Florence Avery, who came up with the idea of the Mo-off has so far not expressed support for any team, but she did mention that “Brasenose have the pengest moustaches judging from their pictures.”

The Mo-off is part of a movement across the country, and the world, with even iconic landmarks such as Big Ben supporting a tache. Last year Mo Bros Mo Sistas raised more than £22 million in the UK, raising money for a cause that affects one in nine men in the UK.

The UK is currently second in the world leaderboard having raised £3,228,606 in the first week alone. Canada is in first place raising £4,708,097 pounds to date.

The Movember rules state: “Once registered at movember.com each Mo Bro must begin the 1st of Movember with a clean shaven face. For the entire month each Mo Bro must grow and groom a moustache. There is to be no joining of the mo to the sideburns (that’s considered a beard), there’s to be no joining of the handlebars to the chin (that’s considered a goatee) and each Mo Bro must conduct himself like a true gentleman.”

If you wish to donate, go to uk.movember.com/de/mospace/network/OxfordUniversity

PHOTO/LeCachas