Queen’s grad plots 100 km charity run

A recent Queen’s graduate is attempting to run 100 kilometres in ten days to help tackle poverty in El Salvador.

Charlotte Le Flufy, nicknamed Fluff, will be running ten kilometres each day for ten days in ten cities for a project organised by the international development charity Progressio during which she will assist El Salvadorian volunteers combat a number of issues in the local area.

She will have travelled more than two marathons by the time she reaches Oxford where she will be joined by current students for the penultimate leg of her challenge.

Charlotte, who graduated with a first in PPE this year, said: “My 10K Challenge is a way of making sure developing countries can continue to benefit from the work of future volunteers, so it’s vital I reach my target.

“I’ve been training hard for the last month and I’m hoping everyone will give generously as a result of my effort – and look out for me as I run through Oxford on Friday 16th November!”

She added: “The project I’m working on is run by the development charity, Progressio, and aims to educate people about HIV and AIDS, to improve participation in local government and to safeguard women’s rights.

“This is a unique opportunity to work alongside people from a different culture who have requested help from young volunteers to fight poverty and make a difference where it’s needed most. I’m really excited to get out there.”

Charlotte is no stranger to charity work – while at Oxford she was the President of the RAG committee. Lucy Adams, a fourth year friend of Fluff’s at Queen’s, said: “Fluff revolutionised RAG and fundraising went up 500 per cent in her term.

“She’s a fan of all things ethical and has done extensive research into the financial transparency of the Progressio project. All the money is going directly to the charity.”

Current REG President Flo Avery was also full of praise for her predecessor, saying: “It’s absolutely amazing what Fluff is doing- however her dedication in this personal project is no surprise to me, knowing what an excellent President she was!

She continued: “The programme she is working with is particularly commendable as they work with local organisations and local people to facilitate grassroots solutions to problems in El Salvador, meaning that the work that’s being done will be sustainable, and the locals will have real ownership over progress. I wish her the best of luck and encourage people to give generously.”

Sakina Haider, a third year at Queen’s, said: “Fluff has set herself a very demanding challenge yet amongst those who know her there is little doubt of her successs.”

After completing the run on Saturday 17th November, Charlotte will travel to El Salvador in January next year with the government-funded International Citizen Service (ICS). The organisation gives young people aged between 18 and 25 to contribute to projects in countries such as Burkina Faso, Nepal and Sierra Leone.

ICS is funded by the Department for International Development and is run by six charities including Voluntary Service Overseas, Raleigh International and Tearfund. The organisation also works with Catch 22 and Islamic Relief to find new volunteers and overseas with the International Volunteers and the Red Cross.

To support Charlotte’s challenge donations can be made at https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/fluffs10kchallenge