Rutland romps to OUSU Presidency

Tom Rutland will be next year’s OUSU President after claiming a decisive victory over Izzy Westbury.

The Jesus JCR President polled just under a thousand votes more than Westbury and received over 60 per cent of vote.

Rutland told The Oxford Student: “It’s an absolute honour and a true privilege to be elected OUSU President. I’m really excited to get started next summer and looking forward to seeing out our policies!

“Thank you so much to everyone who voted and especially to our amazing group of candidates, agents and supporters who gave up so much time to help us. It’s been a great night and I can’t wait to work with the fantastic team of officers that were elected today.”

Tom Adams, the Lead Agent for Rutland’s campaign, added: “I’m so proud of the work of all of our candidates and supporters in the past few days. The reason we won this election, and by such a large margin, was because of the legwork put in by a huge range of people from across the university.

I’m so happy to be part of an OUSU Presidential campaign which broke 2000 votes for the first time in recent memory, and am sure that Tom Rutland will make a fantastic OUSU President.”

Westbury, who was President of the Oxford Union in Michaelmas 2011, said: “I really enjoyed running in this election and the people I’ve met and worked with along the way. We brought in a few innovative ideas and it’s just a shame we couldn’t convert the social media campaign to votes – too little too late it would seem!”

More to follow