Somerville crushed by LMH

College Sport Sport

LMH 4 (Roberts 40′; Davison 75′, 80′, 89′)

Somerville 1 (Boyer 23′)

Somerville suffered their fifth defeat of the season at the hands of LMH on Tuesday. Still without a point, and with the worst goal difference out of all four divisions, ‘Ville failed to create any real chances in what turned out to be a scrappy match, though captain, Blane Scott, was pleased with the passion, desire and fight that his side offered.

Against the run of play, Somerville took the lead on twenty-two minutes, with their only shot of the half, when Will Boyer curled a twenty-five yard free-kick into the bottom corner. The lead was short-lived however; the Somerville defence failed to deal with a long throw, which ended up with a looping header from Thomas Roberts over goalkeeper Harry Straight and midfielder Boyer, who tried his best to clear off the line with his hands.

For the remainder of the match, both teams struggled going forwards, and a scrappy affair was induced as Somerville and LMH tried all they could to salvage a much-needed win. Tom Smith and Luke Hannigan got a bit too physical with the LMH strikers, and a series of free-kicks were awarded to the home side, who failed to make the most of their opportunities. A frustrating afternoon in the middle of the park for Boyer may have ended early, as a few full-blooded tackles failed to win the ball, upending the LMH wingers in dangerous territory.

It wasn’t until the seventy-fifth minute when the floodgates opened. A late hat trick of headers from Oliver Davison finished Somerville off, who have a break next week, giving them a chance to focus on their cuppers fixture against Corpus/Linacre, for which they would be rewarded a place in the quarter finals. This match ended with strong words being exchanged between both sets of players, but it is Somerville who remain rooted to the bottom of the division.

PHOTO// PJBoyer