Oxford best place to live

Local News News

Oxford is officially the best place to live in Britain according to recent research.

A survey undertaken by Price Waterhouse Cooper (PWC) this month measured a wide range of indicators including the work-life balance of inhabitants, the unemployment  rate and the income distribution found in a city.

Oxford was found to have the best overall mix of the criteria, putting it to the top of the rankings, followed by Reading in second and Aberdeen in third place.

Eleanor Shallow, a first year mathematician from Exeter, agreed with the report commenting: “Oxford is such an amazing place to live as a student that I am over the moon that other people feel the same way.  It is in a different league to any city in the whole wide world.  Nothing compares to Oxford.”

Larger cities tended to suffer in the survey with Manchester, London and Birmingham all finishing well below average, largely due to the higher house prices and the longer commute times which they are associated with.

Tom Ashby, a second year historian at Keble, praised “the welcoming atmosphere, distinct character and sound geography which make’s Oxford a great place to live”.

He went on to comment: “It is reassuring to see the survey placed us well above the other place” – Cambridge finished a lowly ninth in the overall measure and performed poorly in long term savings and jobs.

This report was carried out by PWC in association with Demos to enable a broader understanding of “urban economic wellbeing” rather than simply looking at “quarterly GDP figures”.

The report also intended to draw attention to particular issues in certain cities.  For instance the report concluded that “in areas like Bristol housing affordability is a particular focus of concern, perhaps as a result of relative economic success in attracting people and investment to these cities. In contrast, more basic issues of jobs and adequate income levels are top priorities in less affluent cities such as Sheffield and Newcastle.”

Gargie Ahmed, Charities representative from Keble, however issued a word of warning that “as much as we might like to praise this statistic, we can’t overlook some of our obvious, and serious, problems; homelessness for example.”