Endeavour filming at Keble

Filming of the Oxford-based ITV detective series Endeavour came to Keble this weekend, as shooting for the long-awaited first series of the Endeavour Keble filming - Jonathan MayoInspector Morse prequel continued.

The new series will centre around the formative years of Inspector Morse, as a young Detective Constable for Thames Valley police in 1960s Oxford, with lead actor Shaun Evans stepping into the shoes of the late John Thaw, the original Morse.

Reacting to the news of Keble’s part in the new series, the JCR President of Keble, James Newton commented: “It has been a long time coming but finally Keble’s red brick beauty is being properly acknowledged. Like the rosy cheeks of a blushing maiden, Keble College holds an innocent charm that is initially breathtaking and forever endearing.”

He added: “Being the generous souls that we are, us Keblites are glad to share its robust majesty with the world.”

In an email circulated to all students, the College’s Bursar stated that this was the first time an episode of the Morse franchise has been filmed at the college. According to the schedule, filming has taken place in Keble’s MCR, SCR and Quad.

The newly commissioned series of four episodes, each two-hour-long, follows the airing of a successful pilot episode last January, which attracted much critical acclaim, and an audience of more than eight million viewers – the highest audience for a one-off ITV drama in five years.

Other students were equally enthused by the filming. Georgie Salzedo, a first-year historian commented: “I’m really excited about the new series, as I really enjoyed the pilot episode last year.”

Endeavour will be the second Inspector Morse spin-off following Lewis, of which the seventh, and final, series aired this month.

33 episodes of the successful original drama aired between 1987 and 2000, before Jon Thaw died in 2002. The series was based on the original Inspector Morse novels by Colin Dexter, who will continue to act as a consultant on Endeavour.

It is understood that the four new episodes are due to be aired this autumn on ITV 1.