Put a spring in your step and embrace the new season

The temperature may be hovering in minus figures and snow may well be covering the ground around you, but in the fashion world at least, we are officially in spring territory. The SS’13 look is fundamentally fun: think bright colours, loud prints and playful accessories.

#sayitloudsayitproud

It was only a matter of time before the Twitter generation took to their sweaters and T-shirts to express themselves. If you want everyone in Oxford to know you are a self-confessed geek or dweeb, head to Topshop. If quoting great literature is more your thing, this Wildfox t-shirt will impress your tutor and demonstrate your intellectual wit. It can be cartoonish, it can be simple, it can be flirty. ASOS even have T-shirts proclaiming ‘Come a little closer’ (perhaps not to be worn in Park End, I think). The point is, if you could hashtag it, you should wear it.

The New Ankle Boot

If you have looked down recently, you’ve probably noticed the abundance of Chelsea boots adorning people’s feet. In brown, black or navy, heeled or flat, leather or suede, the Chelsea boot has been everywhere (indeed, I’m currently wearing mine as I write this). Given the nature of the English weather, their popularity is hardly a surprise but as spring approaches, the ankle boot has been given a Cuban twist. Think of Cuban boots as the Chelsea boots’ exotic cousin who wears red lipstick ‘just because’. A little bit sexier and a little bit more exciting, the Cuban heel works now with jeans and woolly tights and if the weather ever warms up, with flippy skirts and short-shorts come summer.

Sunglasses

Let me just start this by saying I am a obsessive buyer of sunglasses. They remind me of summer and always add an air of sophistication; I love them. I am currently lusting after these Miu Miu beauties but given a) my budget and b) my uncanny ability to fall flat on my face, £205 seems a little steep for another pair of sunglasses. Thankfully, Urban Outfitters, Topshop and River Island have all produced equally quirky glasses that will brighten an outfit without heading perilously close to your overdraft. If the thought of parting with your beloved aviators fills you with panic, fear not. Oliver Peoples have added splashes of red to the frames of their classic aviator shape to add a playful vibe.

Let me just check that

Louis Vuitton’s SS’13 collection was a feast of modish, 60s-inspired shifts. Presented on a checked catwalk, the collection was a blend of sophisticated silhouettes with playful checks in black and white, and zingy green and yellow. To avoid looking like a chef in a greasy spoon, make sure you wear tailored pieces that create curves or keep your hair sleek and sophisticated. If checked trousers don’t appeal to you, both Topshop and Miss Selfridge have checked clutches, iPhone cases and backpacks to ease yourself into the trend.